Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.52.20 AM.png
West Elevation Zoom.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.52.20 AM.png

Development


SCROLL DOWN

Development


For Information contact:  Curtis Hyde 801-540-8508

overview

In 2011, Huntsville Town representatives approached the Hyde Family, owners of Huntsville Square, home of the Huntsville Square Barbecue, Joyful Smiles Dentistry, Detours, The Blue Coyote Café, and the Old Fire Station.  At the time, representatives asked the Hyde’s to submit a development proposal for the southwest corner acre of the old elementary school property. The Town Council and Planning Commission were desirous of a project that would benefit town residents, the Huntsville Library, Huntsville Park and neighboring businesses. The Hyde’s began researching,  and planning a development that would satisfy these desires.

After much planning and cooperation with town representatives, the Hyde Family proposed a mixed-use commercial village for the property. Design elements and building materials of the project will reflect and echo the rich architecture of historic Huntsville. Buildings in the project will total no more than 30% of the lot, leaving 70% of the property beautifully landscaped common area adorned with walkways, grass, trees, benches and other inviting features.

The Inn, anchor business of the project will offer 12-15 beautifully appointed rooms for nightly rental. Rooms will vary in size and amenities. Kitchenettes, fireplace features and comfortable furnishings will be included. The inn will house a fully stocked coffee bar with specialty beverages, breakfast, and confections. The coffee bar will be open to guests, as well as the public.

The Inn will offer beautiful indoor and outdoor common areas, with meeting rooms available for rent. It will also have a sauna for guests to relax after hard days skiing or enjoying one of many other recreational activities offered in the surrounding area.

In addition, shops in the project may include businesses such as a small café, bakery, brick oven pizza restaurant, ice cream parlor, salon, and gift shop. The project is designed to help preserve and enhance Huntsville’s traditional downtown center by providing a gathering place for the community; offer desired services and amenities closer to home; create part-time job opportunities for Huntsville’s youth; and enhance Huntsville’s vitality. The project will beautify the property and enhance the community's tax base.

Benefits OF MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT

Numerous studies and articles have been published recently by community governmentsnonprofit community planning organizations, and business owners regarding the many benefits carefully planned mixed-use developments provide the communities they serve.

Benefits of mixed-use developments include:

       Preserve and enhances traditional downtown centers

       Promote a sense of community

       Create and protect public spaces for members of the community to gather

       Enhances pedestrian and bicycle travel

       Creates job opportunities for locals

       Make use compact and energy-efficient design wasting fewer resources

       Generate less vehicular traffic than other commercial alternatives

       Provide more revenue for community on a per acre basis than alternatives

       Enhance a community’s vitality

 

HISTORY

Historically, Huntsville was a lively community full of pioneers and industrious local businesses. The town was home to numerous markets from the late 1800s to the mid-1900s, including the Wood’s Meat Market, Sorenson Market, and Mckay's Grocery and Confectionary.  Huntsville had a doctor’s office, dentist office, telephone operating office, public hall, two schools, numerous bed and breakfast facilities, an automobile repair garage, as well as gas stations.

Mixed-use development has been implemented in Huntsville and many towns in the American West since the 1800s. 

West Elevation Zoom.png

Village Square Concept


Village Square Concept



 

Preserving and enhancing the traditional downtown center 

Promoting a sense of community 

Promoting a sense of place 

Enhancing pedestrian and bicycle travel 

Creating part-time job opportunities 

Enhancing Huntsville's vitality